In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Mount Desert Island: Shaped by Nature

Postscript: More Moving Buildings

The Old House, Harbor Cottage, The Big Barn and the Old Ell were not the only structures in Asticou to move, expand, or morph into new uses or entirely new structures. The scope of this writing cannot properly describe or document other Asticou buildings on the move, but a list of a few others includes:

Clover Cottage

Located today at 3 Asticou Way, a portion of this structure was originally built by A.C. Savage in the late 1800s as a summer rental cottage and located farther inland, north along Rye Field Lane on or near the present-day site of the Old Ell.

Around 1903 or 1904, Clover Cottage was moved to its present location and used by A.C. and Emily Savage as their summer home while they rented out Harbor Cottage. Around 1915 the house was expanded further and rented to Dr. & Mrs. Ernest Stillman of New York. As the Stillman family grew in numbers, Clover Cottage saw the addition of more upstairs bedrooms and a new downstairs room and bath in 1928.

Rose Lane and Clover Cottage - Asticou Way Panorama ca. 1935
Rose Lane and Clover Cottage - Asticou Way Panorama ca. 1935Item Contributed by
Northeast Harbor Library

In 1933, Charles K. and Katharine L. Savage (1905-2001) moved in and resided there until their respective deaths. Despite the continual year-round use of this home through 2001, certain wings of the home were cordoned-off seasonally from the year-round occupants with features such as pocket doors, and rented to summer guests over the years, including Governor and Mrs. William Vanderbuilt of Rhode Island, writer Willa Cather (who wrote the final draft of her last book at the house), and Mrs. W. Rodman Fay of New York.

Clover Cottage was laboriously and lovingly restored and improved in the first decade of the 21st century and remains one of the very attractive residences in the Asticou neighborhood.

Rose Lane

Located today at 2 Asticou Way and constructed in 1895 by A.C. Savage for his son John, the building was outfitted as a general store and post office serving the Asticou Inn and neighborhood. John sold this store business and building to his brother George in 1898, who, with the help of his father moved the structure back 75 feet from the road and turned it into a home for him and his wife Mabelle.

Later on Rose Lane would be owned by Charles Savage and rented out to summer guests as part of the Asticou Inn enterprise. Rose Lane has survived as a year round home in the Asticou neighborhood but has regularly been rented out in the summer months by its owners over the years.